Sunday, March 7, 2010

Is it enough to say that I love you?

Thursday I had two hours in the middle of the day that suddenly became free time... "Ooooo! What's that?", I wonder. "Maybe... uh, maybe I could cook! Or maybe I could..., oh! oh! I know! read! Who-oh. That's awesome."
And then, I got a better idea.
I went to get lunch, got it to go... and went home for a date with Jesus. I pulled my hammock out into the woods behind my house, grabbed my Bible, journal and food and started my date with Jesus.
I'm laying in the hammock, hat pulled over my eyes to block the bright light. My tummy is warmed by the sun shining down. It's simply glorious out. My shoe-clad toes are buried in crunchy leaves, causing the hammock to sway.
I'm happily basking in His love.
Suddenly, I'm filled with the desire to tell Jesus how much I love Him. I'm thinking, "Hm. Jesus, I love you a lot... Let me tell you how much, right now."
And although it seemed silly, here's what I did.
Jesus, I love you more than...... my love for cooking.
I love you more than........ my desire to stay in Murray and work in Christ Ambassadors forever.
I love you more than........ my Ralph Lauren "Blue" perfume that I have worn for 4 years.
I love you more than........ my favorite book.
I love you more than......... my love for laughter.
I love you more than......... walking barefoot on soft, green velvet grass.
I love you more than......... all my favorite movies.
I love you more than......... my mustard yellow cardigan.
I love you more than........ my best friend.
I love you more than........ finding a recipe that uses garlic, basil and shrimp.
I love you more than........ my family.
I love you more than........ all my hopes for my future.
I value you more than the breath that I breathe.

This weekend at a conference in Nashville, Bryan Kim taught on how God loves to hear that we love Him. Song of Solomon says that His heart is ravashed by us... and that our one glance at Him made Him hopelessly in love with us....

Song of Soloman 4:9 Message
"You've captured my heart, dear friend.

You looked at me, and I fell in love.
One look my way and I was hopelessly in love!"

In the Amplified version it says it this way,
"You have ravished my heart and given me courage, my sister, my [promised] bride; you have ravished my heart and given me courage with one look from your eyes, with one jewel of your necklace."

One glance at God, one little "I love you" or "I miss you" makes His heart beat violently in His chest for us.
So it started off seeming a little silly, but really.... I was meant to tell Jesus how much I love Him.
I love when people tell me that they enjoy time with me... that they love me... so doesn't He love that too?
I know that He wants to know that I love Him more than all the big and little things in life that I value or enjoy the most...
I want to do this more often. I want to sit down, and tell Jesus that I love Him more than all of my favorite things.
Because He is the life-giver. He is the joy-maker. And He melts at my whispers of "I love you".

No comments:

Post a Comment